Estate planning is necessary to set forth your wishes regarding the distribution of your assets after your passing and end of life issues.
The estate planning attorneys of Hansen, McClintock & Riley in Des Moines, Iowa, can help you through the process of creating or revising an estate plan.
A typical estate plan may include the following documents:
- Living will: Also called an advance health care directive, this document tells your family and health care providers your preferences regarding end-of-life care.
- Medical power of attorney: If you become unable to make important decisions about your own health care, this document designates a person you trust to make them for you.
- Will: A will includes an up-to-date list of your assets and designates whom you would like to own them after you have died. Wills can also name guardians for your minor children.
- Guardianships/conservatorships A guardianship gives another person legal responsibility for the care of a minor child. A conservatorship is a guardianship for an adult.
- Durable power of attorney: This document names a person you trust to manage your affairs if you are no longer able to do so.
- Trusts: For people with significant assets, a trust can be an effective tool for protecting their estate. Our estate planning lawyers can advise you regarding whether a trust is an appropriate option in your situation.
- Probate: After the death of a family member, we will file all of the necessary court paperwork, resolve outstanding debts and taxes, and transfer title of assets to the beneficiaries named in the will.
- Probate litigation: We represent clients involved in will contests and other disputes.
The best time to plan for your future is now before any emergency happens. Estate planning attorneys at Hansen, McClintock & Riley can assist you in addressing your needs and planning for your family’s future needs.